Tuesday, April 5, 2011

OH NOO! MONTY IS PLAYING HIS CELLO AND ZE WATERS ARE FALLING!!!!!

The trip to Monticello and falling waters was PHENOMENAL. It is hard to decided which one I prefer because they are both breathe taking. So here are a few things that I liked and did not like of each places. Pro and con list always help the thought process. 

Monticello: 
Like: 






-I liked the the symmetry of the building. I liked this aspect because there is a sense of predictableness of it. I like being able to picture what it is going to look like. 











-I liked the landscape. I feel as it the house is in charge of the land it is on. Even though it is on top of a hill that is far larger than the house, Monticello is still the dominate feature. I also feel like the house is reaching out to the lawn like it has imaginary arms. 














-I liked the history of. We got to see the bed where Jefferson died! How cool is that?! The house is very nice, but it is something that could be repeated easily. But the fact that it was Jefferson who lived and died there makes the house.














-I liked the servant quarters because they were hidden under the house. The tunnels the were down there interested me because it gave a perspective to not only Jefferson's side of the house, but the slaves and servants. The tunnels were also interesting because it shows that they liked to keep stuff hidden. The lingering thought of whether there was more hidden aspects in Monticello that we still don't know about still intrigues me.










Didn't Like:








-I did not like the cemetery. Even though it was located on the outside of the landscape, I feel as if that is


























Fallingwaters
Like:







-I liked the stairs that go straight down into the water. Frank Lloyd Wright took a lot of risks building the house. The risks that are taken are proven in this stair case. It is interesting how the risks are taken are transmitted into the steps. There is a danger in butting the steps that go straight into a bustling river and it interests me. 























-I liked all the terraces that stretch out to the river. It shows how the house tries to reach out to nature. It also shows how important nature is to the house and the designer.
















- I liked the vines that came over the the outdoor patio because they also showed how the nature reaches out to the rest of the house.












Didn't like:





-I did not like the statues that were around the house. There were a lot statues that reflected multiple religions and cultures.   I know that they were a very wordily family but I prefer a trend.











-I also did not like the open space that was right passed the house. The house was in the center of the woods, but when you walk a few feet out in turns into a field.







Final Decision: After this list I think that I prefer Monticello. I like the symmetry and pridictable aspects of it. I like the history that it has and everything that it holds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment